This is part of my study guide for my final exam. I have answered most of the questions but an struggling. I am
looking for someone to look it over so I can compare to see if I have the correct answers. Thanks.
1. All of these are the fundamental success drivers of competitive advantage except:
D) Cost competitiveness
2. The management function that specifies goals to be achieved and deciding in advance the appropriate actions to achieve those goals is:
3. Good ________ provide operating skills and practical problem solving that keep the company working.
A) board of directors
B) middle managers
C) frontline managers
E) none of the above
4. When comparing actual sales figures with goals established earlier to see if the department met the target, what function is being performed?
5. All of these, except ________, compose a firm’s competitive environment.
C) new entrants
6. Lack of information needed to understand and predict the future is called environmental
7. An aspect of the organization’s internal environment where the organization is comprised of many different units that work on different kinds of tasks, using different skills and work methods is
D) span of control
8. _______ is a term describing the oversight of the firm by its executive staff and board of directors.
A) Corporate authority
B) Corporate governance
C) Vertical governance
D) Horizontal governance
E) Horizontal authority
9. The first step in effective delegation is
A) schedule checkpoints for reviewing progress
B) select the person for the tasks
C) define the goal succinctly
D) follow through
E) solicit the subordinate’s views about suggested approaches
10. The first step in the basic planning process is
A) establishment of mission, vision, and goals
B) Situation analysis
C) Goals and plans selection
D) Identifying and diagnosing the problem
E) strategic control
11. ______ is means whereas ______ are ends.
A) Goals; plans
B) Vision; mission
C) Plans; goals
D) Mission; vision
E) Goals; strategies
12. _______ represents one of the most visible signs of possible corporate commitment to ethical behavior.
A) Strategic retreat
C) Strategic voluntarism
D) Coalition building
E) Written code of ethics
13. An organization that seeks to maximize internal efficiency is
14. Large organizations are typically less _______ and more _______.
A) bureaucratic; organic
B) mechanistic; organic
C) organic; bureaucratic
D) mechanistic; networked
E) networked; organic
15. _______ involves teaching managers and professional employees broader skills needed for their present and future jobs.
C) Assessment center
16. MBO is one approach to ________ appraisals.
17. ______ is a mental image of a possible and desirable future state of the organization.
A) A vision
B) A taut
E) A strategy
18. Which of these powers are considered personal powers?
A) reward and coercive
B) referent and legitimate
C) legitimate and reward
D) reward and expert
E) expert and referent
19. All of the following are personality characteristics that distinguish effective leaders from other people except
A) self confidence
E) knowledge of the business
20. A leadership philosophy characterized by an absence of managerial decision making is called _______ style.
21. A (n) _______ leader is a person who is dominant, self-confident, convinced of the moral righteousness of his/her beliefs, and able to arouse a sense of excitement and adventure in followers.
22. Which of these represent the first step of a typical control system?
A) Comparing performance against standards
B) Measuring performance
C) Setting performance standards
D) Determining deviations
E) Taking corrective action
23. People resist control systems because
A) control systems increase the accuracy of performance data and make
employees more accountable for their actions
B) control systems can change expertise and power structures
C) control systems can change the social structure of the organization
D) control system is seen as an invasion of privacy
E) all of these
24. What is the set of important assumptions about the organization and its goals and practices those members of the company share?
A) Activity-based costing
C) Organization cuure
D) Management myopia
E) Internal audit
25. Types of Plans are _______________
E) all the above