1. What two major research findings challenge the idea of cuural diffusion? Explain how each research finding
challenges the idea.
2. Provide three reeasons why people abandon their native language. You may draw from the film, The Linguists or your textbook. Use on example, real or imagined, to illustrate one or more of your reasons.
3. What is linguistic inequality? Define in your own words and explain using one of the following examples. AAE, vocal fry, or any pidgin, creole, or speech community that you are interested in (except slang)
4. Rites of Passage: How does a period of transition, marked by liminality, more fully commit a person to the role they will eventually take? Provide an example and describe what happens during the transition stage and the reaggregation stage.
5. Explain the theory of, ‘unilineal cuural evolutionalism’. Using an example from the text, lecture, or your own knowledge, explain how this theory impacted our approach to non western cuures.
6. To the Azande, what does the belief in witchcraft offer that Christianity does not? Who can be bewitched, how is bewitching done?
7. What evidence led Napoleon Chagnon to conclude that the Yanomami are a fierce people? What do we now understand about the context in which Chagnon conducted his research that can help us answer this question?