1. _______ is/are the raw material of evolutionary change.
A. Genetic drift
B. Assortative mating
D. Nonrandom mating
2. _______ capture their prey with a ring of stinging tentacles.
3. The tail bone of humans is an example of a/an _______ structure.
4. The most diverse and prevalent organisms on earth are
. D. vertebrates.
5. Which of the following is not an example of a service provided by beneficial bacteria?
A. Nutrient cycling
D. Food production
6. Which one of the following statements presents a condition required for the Hardy-Weinberg principle to be in effect?
A. Genetic drift occurs.
B. Gene flow is present.
C. Mutations are present.
D. Random mating occurs.
7. What is the function of a nematocyst?
A. Sensory perception
B. Prey capture
8. Organisms that can interbreed and bear fertile offspring are considered to be in the same
9. Which scientist’s theories were closest to those of Darwin and his theory of evolution?
10. Which of the following is an example of a group of prokaryotic organisms?
11. Allen and Rose are discussing saprotrophs. Allen says saprotrophic fungi decompose the remains of animals and plants. Rose says saprotrophic fungi remove excess lignin from paper pulp. Who is correct?
A. Only Rose is correct.
B. Only Allen is correct.
C. Both Allen and Rose are correct.
D. Neither is correct.
12. What happens when previous adaptations are no longer suitable for changes in the environment?
B. Artificial selection
13. In the evolutionary adaptation sense, what is fitness?
A. The ability of an individual to survive
B. The larger size of an individual
C. The strength of an individual
D. The reproductive success of an individual
14. When female deer mate with male deer that have the largest antlers, _______ selection is occurring.
15. Darwin argued that the beak size and shape of Galapagos finch species was related to their
A. food source.
B. flight pattern.
C. body size.
D. time of reproduction.
16. Spherically shaped bacteria are known as
17. During the life cycle of a plant, gametophyte is to n as sporophyte is to
A. n → 2
18. A chart that illustrates a series of species with their common ancestor is called a
C. phylogenetic tree.
19. According to the theory of evolution, birds’ feathers evolved from
A. gill slits.
B. reptile scales.
C. fish fins.
D. gill arches.
20. What organisms can live in hot springs and thermal vents?
1. C. Mutations
Evolutionary changes began with mutation.
2. B. Cnidarians
3. B. vestigial
4. B. bacteria
5. B. Bioaccumulation
6. D. Random mating occurs
7. B. Prey capture
8. B. species…